Amanda Kovattana

Middle-aged musings in interesting times

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Signs from Peace Rally

I had this piece I was going to send out about the questions raised by Katrina and how we woke up as a nation in contrast to 9/11, but when I read it to Catherine I realized the piece wouldn't play. It was just so much cerebral nattering with no story. So I just wanted you to know I had editorial standards. That I don't send out just any old thing that crosses my brainwaves. And now I'm leaving town to do something constructive, hee. I'm going to Santa Barbara for a building workshop. I'll be back Friday. Meanwhile for your amusement, I transcribed the signs I saw at the peace rally yesterday. That being the best part.

Hurricane Bush is the Disaster

Compassionate Conservative is an oxymoron and Bush is just a moron - created by a teenage girl

Remember Katrina - speaker during pre-march rally

Gone Shoppin - on t-shirt of woman wearing Condoleezza mask
Gone Fishin - on t-shirt of man wearing Bush mask
Gone Lootin - on t-shirt of man wearing Cheney mask; all three dancing together to a boom box on the meridian divider

Occupation is Imperialism

Farmers for peace

Will grow 4 food

Make Levee Not War

Stop the war. I don't want to pay for it - sign held by child in a stroller
When I'm mad I use words Mr. Bush - sign held by her friend in a wagon

Got Lies - sign on man dressed as Bush in a convict suit

The flag is not a blindfold. Investigate the CIA for 9/11

Educate, activate, organize - on a t-shirt

Unfuck the World (plus nuclear symbol) - on t-shirt

End the war care for the poor

How many lives per gallon? (picture of gas pump)

All we are saying is we told you so

Panting for peace, Peace Pup - Sign on golden retriever

Stop Mad Cowboy Disease - most popular sign

Practice Compassionate Impeachment

War is a Dead End, Merge Left - sign painted like a highway warning sign

Put a Mom in Charge, Cindy Sheehan for President

Well-behaved women don't make history - quote by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich on t-shirt

I never thought I'd miss Nixon

Bush is the Disaster, Rescue America

God does not bless only America

Who Would Jesus Bomb

I love my country, but I think we should start seeing other people

Wake Up and Smell the Fascism

The U.S. has bombed 40 countries since 1945 - contingent of people holding signs shaped like bombs with dates and countries

We found the WMDs over map of America with star on Washington DC

War starts with Dubya

How much war is on your plate? www.GoVeg.com

Hate never ends by hate, only by love - Buddha. Sign held by Jack Kornfield, author and Buddhist teacher. He was standing facing crowd as they marched into the end point rally.

Be the Change, you want to see in the world. Sign held by giant Gandhi figure on a float.

Fuck the Corporate Media - spray-painted on side of NBC TV van under broken window. (The only violence on an otherwise peaceful day.)

National Embarrassmints. On tin box of mints with caricature of Bush

Got Democracy? On t-shirt Catherine bought

The Art of Peace - on t-shirt I bought. Shows 6 artists' rendition of peace sign - Picasso, Andy Warhol, etc

What Would Gandhi Do? - on t-shirt Catherine bought

Support Alternative Energy Research - on t-shirt I bought w/ graphic of road sign figure with gas pump nozzle pointing at head

Peace is the only security - on bumper sticker at Cindy Crawford booth.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Lew Scannon said...

Uggh! Those spam comments bug me more than a right wing blog! Click on your word verification to get rid of them.Great listing of signs, nearly all of them made me laugh!Had the kids all weekend and couldn't find a march locally (plus my ex likes Bush because he's "well dressed" and would be upset if I took the kids to a march)but was at many in spirit. Thank you for standing up and letting them know that not all Americans are chauvinistic war pigs. Now if only the Democratic leadership would show.....

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog while I was looking aroung Flickr. Lots of interesting thoughts there, and you've opened my eyes about some issues I didn't know (eg. the floating plastic slicks) You come across as a strong and honest person, so keep doing what you're doing! Ken (UK)

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ak, found you accidentally while searching for FarmersforPeace.org, which was on a professionally made banner at the 2 events i attended over this dark anniversary weekend. (one of which i ORGANIZED ... which occupation we share, as well as writing newsletters ... enuff clues? .. yes, i was in NYC, napo... nice to see you are still active, still cool.) Peggy P.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Earthworm. Get yours at bighugelabs.com